Deer Isle Writing Workshop
Sept. 25 – 26, 2015 in Stonington, Maine
Beta Author Boost is a unique workshop for a select group of business writers committed to plunging in and completing a short Kindle eBook in 8 weeks. Why Beta? Your goal is to get a short book out into the world – and start selling it – as quickly as possible.
Dates: Dec. 1, 2011 – Feb. 10, 2012. Course is 8 weeks; 2 bonus weeks included to accommodate the holidays.
What would it take to write and publish a kick-ass business eBook for Amazon Kindle?
What if you had a professional editor at your side to make your writing sizzle?
What if a drop-dead deadline propelled you to finish your book in 8 weeks?
A business book doesn’t have to be a 250-page project. Length doesn’t matter when you’re writing an eBook. In fact, with digital technologies you can update an eBook even after you’ve published it. Your book might be 30 pages long and have more impact than the latest 304-page bestseller by Jim Collins. Your readers will love it because:
- It’s an easy, quick read
- It’s well written and tightly edited
- Your message is compelling and you’ve got a new twist on a provocative topic
- It makes us think about making the world a better place – or at least changing our approach to work and life
Now let’s make it easy: your goal is to write a short book
Nobody can tell how long your book is when they look at the thumbnail cover on Amazon. Nor do they care. A sizzling title, an eye-catching cover, a compelling topic and the quality of the writing are what matter. These are what establish your credibility as an author and lead to fanatic readers and book sales. And with the new $79 Kindle in every pocket and purse, a short book can be downloaded and read on almost every device, from smartphones to iPads.
Meet Debbie Weil (that’s me), the professional editor who will be at your side for 8 weeks. In addition to being a Web pioneer, marketing strategist, international speaker and corporate consultant, I’ve been writing and editing for decades. First as a journalist, then a published author – and for the past 10 years as a blogging coach. I will make your message sizzle, your prose compelling and your book sell.
Beta Author Boost is limited to 10
writers so you get tons of individual attention
I know how overwhelming it can be to write a BOOK (all caps), no matter how long you’ve been blogging or how many articles you’ve written. For all the talk about how easy it is to upload and publish an eBook to Amazon Kindle, writing a book is difficult. But with encouragement and support in the form of coaching and editing, writing a short eBook is doable and can even be fun!
Experience the miraculous power of an 8-week deadline (and a manageable goal)
A lot of good writers tend to procrastinate. Here’s where the power of a drop-dead deadline comes in. Picture yourself at your desk on Dec. 1st, 2011. Your goal is to write and publish a Kindle eBook by Feb. 10, 2012*. Your book can be as short as 7,500 – 25,000 words. That translates into 30 – 80 pages, a manageable goal.
Now, picture the support of a highly-experienced editor at your elbow. I will break down the writing process for you into manageable steps – with step-by-step assignments and exercises. As your professional editor, I will work with you one-on-one to hone your book idea, guide you in writing and re-writing, provide 2 edits and help you choose a terrific title. In 8 weeks you will have a manuscript ready to upload, publish and sell as an eBook on Amazon Kindle.
*If you’re counting the dates, that’s 10 weeks. You get two bonus weeks to accommodate the holidays.
Get an exclusive Beta Author *Boost* with this unique writing workshop
In my exclusive Beta Author Boost workshop, you get the benefit and boost of a professional editor every step of the way as you write your book. You also get a boost of encouragement and writing tips from a small group of equally dedicated fellow writers. We will have a private Facebook page for daily inspiration and for group feedback on your manuscript. A supportive workshop environment is both fun and inspiring. I am passionate about books and about publishing with a purpose. I firmly believe that books and eBooks can spread important ideas, provoke social change and make the world a better place.
Maybe you are asking yourself…
Why do I need this workshop if I only need to write 30 pages? Inspired editing can turn OK writing, no matter how long or short, into something GREAT. Professional editing is the difference between a book that has a big impact and SELLS – and one that falls flat and doesn’t connect with readers.
What you will get as one of 10 select Beta Authors
1) Individual coaching with Voxie Media publisher Debbie Weil to identify the topic that will win you the most readers and book sales
- A 1-hour one-on-one coaching session with Debbie, via Skype.
- We will nail the topic and organization of your book idea so that you have a clear road map for writing.
- Email access to answer your questions and guide you in writing and rewriting your manuscript.
- Value: I usually charge $500 and higher for one hour of consulting with corporate clients.
2) Professional editing that will turn your manuscript into a kick-ass book
- 2 high-level edits of your manuscript by Debbie.
- I will review and edit your manuscript to make it clear, compelling and irresistible to readers.
- My high-level edits will show you exactly how to re-write and improve your manuscript.
- Value: $1,000
3) Four small-group teleclasses to cover the details of eBook publishing and answer all your questions
- 4 small-group teleclasses with Debbie and your fellow Beta Authors.
- You will have plenty of time to get answers to your questions about eBook publishing.
- Topics we will cover include best practices in compelling cover design and how to price your eBook.
- Get tips on how to crowdsource the best title for your book, key to boosting sales.
- Plus inspiration and useful tips from at least one surprise guest (business author or cover designer).
- Value: $250
4) Private Facebook page for invaluable group feedback on your manuscript
- Upload your manuscript to a private Facebook page – an online workshop for Beta Authors.
- Get ongoing feedback from Debbie and the other authors in the program.
- Interact daily with Debbie and the rest of your small group for inspiration and writing tips.
- Never feel stuck or alone when you can turn to your online workshop for support.
- Value: $250
5) PDF handouts with assignments so you will have a clear road map for your writing
- 4 PDF handouts filled with Debbie’s step-by-step guidelines on how to write a winning eBook.
- Specific assignments and writing exercises will propel you forward to your goal of finishing your eBook.
- Eliminate procrastination and paralysis because you will always have something doable to work on.
- Included are pointers to my favorite books and resources on how to write winning nonfiction.
- Value: $250
The value of all of these services separately would cost over $2200.
Register now for discounted price no longer available.
Registration closes on Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011 at 5 PM Pacific and enrollment is limited to 10 writers so that I can give each of you one-on-one attention. The Beta Author Boost workshop will never again be offered at a price this low.
Dates: Dec. 1, 2011 – Feb. 10, 2012. You get two bonus weeks to accommodate the holidays.
Who is this program for?
Ideally, you are an experienced writer. You have existing content, you’ve been blogging for a while on a business topic or you’ve written articles for other publications. Most important, you are passionately committed to becoming a published author.
You also understand that publishing an eBook is a process of discovery and exploration. One Kindle eBook will probably not turn you into a bestselling author. But it could be the foundation of a longer book, or a series of books. And of course, you will experience the immediate reward of collecting 70 percent of the price of each book you sell through Amazon Kindle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What if I have a conflict or can’t participate in each of the scheduled teleclasses?
No worries. We will make a recording available and you will be able to download and listen to it later.
Q. Do you guarantee that I will be able to complete and publish a Kindle eBook?
I will do everything I can to help you succeed, but you are the author and, as such, the only person who can guarantee that your eBook will get written. If you follow the step-by-step course instructions and take advantage of editing and one-on-one coaching from me, as well as support from the other Beta Authors, publishing your Kindle eBook is absolutely within your reach.
Q. If my book is only going to be 30 – 80 pages long, why do I need this workshop?
Good question. Under 100 pages is a very manageable goal. But most writers still need structure and support to Do the Work (as author Stephen Pressfield calls it). Every professional writer knows that a tough editor (as well as honest feedback from other experienced writers) can turn an OK piece of writing into something GREAT.
Q. Is everything I need to publish an eBook included?
This is a course specifically aimed at writing a short business book. In the teleclasses we will talk about how to self-publish through a service like BookBaby.com. However, Voxie Media can provide publishing services for you for an additional fee. We are working on putting together several different packages. These services include:
- copyediting and proofreading
- ISBN if necessary
- cover design
- formatting and conversion to eBook format
- uploading to Kindle platform
- book description and promotional copy for Amazon page
Registration is limited to 10 authors and closes Tuesday Nov. 29, 2011 at 5 PM Pacific.
Wait, is there a Bonus?
Of course. As a Beta Author you will get a gift e-copy of the updated Kindle edition of my book, The Corporate Blogging Book. Read it on any mobile device including iPad and smartphones, or on your computer.
As CEO of Voxie Media, my new publishing company, I believe in books and eBooks as tools to change the world. I want to encourage as many kick-ass business writers as possible to take the plunge and Do the Work to complete a short book. I hope you will join me for this unique, one-time-only offer.
Yours in kick-ass business eBooks,
Founder & CEO, Voxie Media
websites: debbieweil.com and voxiemedia.com
book: Amazon Kindle edition
P.S. Writing The Corporate Blogging Book is the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. It was more difficult than giving birth – which I’ve done three times. Let me make this a lot easier for you. I’d love to be at your side, offering expert guidance, coaching and editing in a workshop environment as you write your book.
P.P.S. This is a one-time-only offer to work with me one-on-one for such a low price. I can’t promise that I will offer a coaching and editing workshop like this again. The total cost is what I charge corporate clients for one hour of consulting.