Spring 2012 Beta Author Boost
Is writing a book one of your goals for 2012? Beta Author Boost is a unique online workshop for a select group of business writers committed to plunging in and writing a short Kindle eBook in 8 weeks. Why Beta? Think of it as an Agile Book Launch. Your goal is to get a short book out into the world – and start selling and connecting with readers – as quickly as possible. And reap the business rewards of becoming a published author.
Dates: March 8 – May 3, 2012. 8 weeks.
What would it take to write and publish a kick-ass business eBook for Amazon Kindle?
What if you had a professional editor at your side to urge you on and squelch your lizard brain?
What if a drop-dead deadline propelled you to finish* your book in 8 weeks?
Even if you don’t *finish, you will make tremendous progress. You no longer need a big New York publisher to establish yourself as a credible author. Now you can write and publish a short book yourself in a matter of weeks. And a business book doesn’t have to be a 250-page project. Length doesn’t matter when you’re writing an eBook. In fact, with digital technologies you can update an eBook even after you’ve published it. Your book might be 30 pages long and have more impact than the latest 304-page bestseller by Jim Collins. Your readers will love it because:
- It’s an easy, quick read
- It’s well written and tightly edited
- Your message is compelling and you’ve got a new twist on a provocative topic
- It makes us think about making the world a better place – or at least changing our approach to work and life
Why a short book? Hint: easier to write… and read
Nobody can tell how long your book is when they look at the thumbnail cover on Amazon. Nor do they care. A sizzling title, an eye-catching cover, a compelling topic and the quality of the writing are what matter. These are what establish your credibility as an author and lead to fanatic readers, book sales and, most likely, increased revenues in your business, whether you are a consultant, creative entrepreneur or corporate executive. And with the new $79 Kindle in every pocket and purse, a short book can be downloaded and read on almost every device, from smartphones to iPads.
Reap the rewards of becoming a published author
No matter how long or short your book is, you will be a published author. And the rewards? You will be able to:
- increase your speaking fees
- increase your consulting fees
- attract more clients
- increase revenues
- cross writing a book off your bucket list (I bet it’s on there if you’ve read this far)
Meet Debbie Weil (that’s me), the professional editor who will be at your side for 8 weeks. In addition to being a Web pioneer, marketing strategist, international speaker and corporate consultant, I’ve been writing and editing for decades. First as a journalist, then a published author – and for the past 10 years as a blogging coach. I will help you make your book your personal branding weapon. I will make your book sell.
Beta Author Boost is limited to 12*
writers so you get tons of individual attention
Note: because 5 people pre-registered, there are only 7 spots left for the March 8 – May 3, 2012 program. *Due to tremendous interest we may take a few more than 12 for this session.
I know how overwhelming it can be to write a BOOK (all caps), no matter how long you’ve been blogging or how many articles you’ve written. For all the talk about how easy it is to upload and publish an eBook to Amazon Kindle, writing a book is difficult. But with encouragement and support in the form of coaching and editing, writing a short eBook is doable and can even be fun!
Experience the miraculous power of an 8-week deadline (and a manageable goal)
A lot of good writers tend to procrastinate. Here’s where the power of a drop-dead deadline comes in. Picture yourself at your desk on March 8, 2012 (only a few weeks from now). Your goal is to write a Kindle eBook by May 3, 2012. Your book can be as short as 10,000 – 25,000 words. That translates into approximately 30 – 80 pages, a manageable goal.
Now, picture the support of a highly-experienced editor at your elbow. I will break down the writing process for you into manageable steps – with step-by-step assignments and exercises. As your professional editor, I will work with you one-on-one to hone your book idea, guide you in writing, provide 2 top-level edits and help you choose a terrific title. In 8 weeks you could have a manuscript ready to upload, publish and sell as an eBook on Amazon Kindle.
Get an exclusive Beta Author *Boost* with this unique writing workshop
In my exclusive Beta Author Boost workshop, you get the benefit and boost of a professional editor every step of the way as you work on your book. You also get a boost of encouragement and writing tips from a small group of smart, equally motivated fellow writers. You will be part of a private Facebook page for daily inspiration and useful tips – both from me and also for group feedback.
Maybe you are asking yourself…
Why do I need this workshop if I only need to write 30 pages? Is it worth the cost? Well, here’s my answer. Inspired editing can turn OK writing into a compelling, gotta-read draft. Honest feedback from an experienced editor is like gold. It will show you how to turn your writing into a sizzling manuscript. It can be the difference between a book that delivers the buzz and credibility you are looking for… and a book that is, well, mediocre. – Debbie
What you will get as one of 12* select Beta Authors
1) Individual book coaching with Voxie Media publisher Debbie Weil to identify and shape the topic that will win you the most readers and book sales
- *One* sixty-minute 1-on-1 coaching session with Debbie, via Skype video. Participants say this is the most valuable part of the program.
- We unravel and nail the topic and organization of your book idea so that you have a clear road map for writing.
- Email access to me to answer your questions and support you in your writing. I make every effort to get back to you right away.
- Due to tremendous interest, we may take a few more Beta Authors in this session
- Value: I charge $500 and higher for one hour of consulting with corporate clients. Beta Authors each get many hours of individual attention and professional feedback from me over the course of 8 weeks.
2) Top-level editing to evaluate your writing and help you turn it into a kick-ass draft
- 2 Top-level edits by Debbie (each time, I will provide feedback on up to 20 pages of your draft).
- We use a shared Google doc for easy collaboration and back-and-forth feedback.
- My reviews offer professional feedback and idea starters on how to make your eBook compelling to readers.
- My top-level edits will help you evaluate your writing. If we decide together that finding a copy editor or ghostwriter will get you across the finish line, I will match you up with one.
- Value: $1,500
3) Five teleseminars to answer your questions and introduce everything you need to know about writing a short book and eBook publishing
- 5 small-group teleclasses with Debbie and your fellow Beta Authors.
- Well-known guest speakers, hand picked by Debbie, offer best practices advice and information on everything you need to know about eBook publishing as well as writing a short book.
- During the teleseminars, you will have plenty of time for Q & A with the guest speakers.
- Topics we cover include uncovering the best ideas for your book, freewriting to generate your first draft(s), cover design for eBooks, choosing a title, how to launch your eBook on a small budget, pricing to sell as many copies as possible, formatting for Kindle and more.
- All teleseminars are recorded so you can listen at your convenience if you can’t dial in live. We also offer PDF transcripts of each session.
- Value: $500
4) Private Facebook page for invaluable group feedback
- The current group of Beta Authors say that our private Facebook page is one of the best things about the program.
- Think of it as your virtual workshop space.
- Get ongoing feedback and support from Debbie and the other authors in the program.
- Interact daily with Debbie and the rest of your small group for inspiration, resources and writing tips.
- Never feel stuck or alone when you can turn to your online workshop for support.
- Value: $400
5) PDF handouts, homework assignments and a private Resources Page
- PDF handouts filled with Debbie’s step-by-step guidelines and advice on how to sit down and write a short book.
- Specific assignments and writing exercises (How to Choose a Title, for example) to propel you forward.
- Password-protected Resources page on the Voxie Media site where you can find all the audio recordings and handouts.
- Eliminate procrastination and paralysis because you will always have something doable to work on.
- Included are pointers to my favorite books and resources on how to write winning nonfiction.
- Value: $450
6) NEW! Office Hours with Debbie to ask all your questions and address stumbling blocks
- I am offering 3 call-in hours over the 8 weeks. Call in during the scheduled hour and ask me any questions you have about your writing or any aspect of eBook publishing.
- Value: $500
The value of all of these services separately would cost over $3,800. Click here to register for $1,297
If you’re doing the math, that’s US $162 a week to book me for 8 weeks as your personal book editor and coach. That is less than half, each week, of what I charge for one hour of coaching. Registration closes on Friday, Feb. 10, 2012 at 5 PM Pacific. (Note: it looks like the program may be full before then. As of 10 PM Eastern on Feb. 9, 2012, there is one spot left.) I may not offer the program again until fall 2012. And I’d love to work with you if you are serious about writing a short book. – Debbie
What current Beta Authors are saying
I found the individual coaching incredibly helpful: Debbie is a perceptive listener and editor who is able to hone in on where you are (or are not) in your writing process and expertly guide you to the next level. She provided a rich and deep resource of practical information that I was able to put to immediate use, drawing on her own experience as a published author, and including the guest experts as well as articles, books and other very current sources of information.
– Cheryl Dolan, www.cheryldolan.com
I needed someone to get me out of the decision-making rut, to help me evaluate traditional publishing vs. the new self-publishing. This whole journey and adventure is lonely without someone to lead the way. I needed a mentor. Debbie is that person. I would pay anything for that.
– Mayra Ruiz McPherson, www.ruizmcpherson.com
More than being a potential income stream, an eBook is a very necessary tool for communicating credibility, developing a network of fans, and marketing me and my business. Unfortunately what technology doesn’t provide is the wisdom or critical thinking that takes “a good idea at the time” to completion. And that’s where Debbie Weil enters my life and my business. She just “gets it.” A successful business owner and author in her own right, Debbie provided insight, guidance, assistance, and direction in just the right way when and where it was needed. I can’t recommend Debbie or her program highly enough.
– Mark Wayland, thelast3feet.com.au
*That’s Mark above, Skyping with me from Sydney, Australia
I jumped right on the opportunity to be one of the first participants in the launch of Debbie Weil’s Beta Author Boost program. I met Debbie online in 2004 when she was leading the charge to convince corporations they needed to start blogging. She was a pioneer in the corporate blogging space, and now she’s pioneering in an even larger and I believe far more important space, the business eBook. I had any number of book ideas floating around in my head, notebooks and electronic files. I was going to get around to it someday. Debbie threw down the challenge to make someday today, and provided the support and guidance to give us all traction.
– Don Dunnington, twitter.com/dunnington
I had decided to either publish or abandon the book that had been lingering on my Half Done list for years when Debbie Weil’s email arrived inviting me to join her Beta Author Boost program. She promised to guide us through the writing process – but I was already a writer. Couldn’t I do this alone? Maybe not. I’d read Debbie’s newsletters and The Corporate Blogging Book, I knew she knew her stuff. And her hype-free promotion told me there would be no fluff. For me, the most beneficial aspect of the program has been Debbie’s feedback, original ideas and encouragement for my specific project. And she’s made it fun. By providing me with the right mix of challenge and support, Beta Author Boost helped me reach the point where I can proudly publish. How cool is that?
– Sue Johnston, author of Talk To Me: Workplace Conversations That Work (to be published spring 2012)
Given how this area of publishing is so new – and while it’s being developed and refined, and standards are being established, changed and tested with readers and markets being dragged along, Debbie, your vision to launch a program like this for us is breaking new barriers and really outstanding. I for one, feel kin to a cosmonaut… getting all the training and discussions but never having flown into a new space, not sure of where to begin and knowing I need a support system with proven expertise. You have beautifully provided that and more. Thank you!!
– Susan Trinter, susantrinter.com
Who is this program for?
This is a program for experienced writers. You have existing content, you’ve been blogging for a while on a business topic or you’ve written articles for other publications. Most important, you are passionately committed to becoming a published author.
You also understand that publishing an eBook is a process of discovery and exploration. One Kindle eBook will probably not turn you into a bestselling author. But it could be the foundation of a longer book, or a series of books. And of course, once your book is published, you will experience the immediate reward of collecting 70 percent of the price of each book you sell through Amazon Kindle, if you price your book at $2.99 or higher. There is also a case to be made for pricing your Kindle eBook at $.99 (in which case the author’s cut is 30%). We’ll discuss and decide what is right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What if I have a conflict or can’t participate in each of the scheduled teleclasses?
No worries. We make a recording available the next day and you will be able to download and listen to it at your convenience. Listen from your desktop or load it onto your mobile device and listen while commuting or walking. We also provide a PDF transcript of each teleseminar for those who prefer to read.
Q. Do you guarantee that I will be able to complete and publish a Kindle eBook?
I will do everything I can to help you succeed, but you are the author and, as such, the only person who can guarantee that your eBook will get written. If you follow the step-by-step course instructions and take advantage of editing and one-on-one coaching from me, as well as support from the other Beta Authors, completing a short manuscript is absolutely within your reach.
Q. If my book is only going to be 30 – 80 pages long, why do I need this workshop?
Good question. Under 100 pages is a very manageable goal. But most writers still need structure and support to Do the Work (as author Stephen Pressfield calls it). Every professional writer knows that a tough editor (as well as honest feedback) can turn an OK piece of writing into something GREAT.
Q. Is everything I need to publish an eBook included?
This is a course specifically aimed at writing a short business book. The teleseminars cover the logistics of e-publishing on Amazon Kindle as well as information about the other platforms, including Nook, Sony, Kobo and Apple’s iBooks. You will learn best practices for eBook cover design, pricing strategies, launch and promotion on a shoe string and more.
For an additional fee, Voxie Media can provide complete editing and publishing services for you, including cover design, eBook promotion, Kindle formatting, etc. We will be announcing several different publishing packages in spring 2012. Additional services will include:
- copyediting and proofreading
- professional ghostwriting
- cover design
- formatting and conversion to eBook format
- uploading to Kindle platform
- pricing strategy
- book description and promotional copy for Amazon page
- promotion and marketing to launch your book
- design and formatting for a print edition of your book
- printing your book through print-on-demand or a short run publisher
Wait, is there a Bonus?
There’s always a bonus, right?! As a Beta Author you will get a gift e-copy of the updated Kindle edition of my book, The Corporate Blogging Book (218 pages). Read it on any mobile device including iPad and smartphones, or on your computer.
As CEO of Voxie Media, I believe in books and eBooks as tools to change the world. I want to encourage as many kick-ass business writers as possible to take the plunge and Do the Work to complete a short book. I hope you will join me for this unique program.
Yours in kick-ass business eBooks,
Founder and CEO, Voxie Media: Big Ideas, Short Books TM
websites: debbieweil.com and voxiemedia.com
book: Amazon Kindle edition
P.S. Writing The Corporate Blogging Book is the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. It was more difficult than giving birth – which I’ve done three times. Let me make this a lot easier for you. I’d love to be at your side, offering expert guidance, coaching and editing in a workshop environment as you write your book.
P.P.S. The total cost is less than what I charge corporate clients for three hours of consulting. You will be getting many hours of individual attention and professional feedback from me over the course of 8 weeks, as well as support from your fellow Beta Authors. We’ll have a blast. Oh, and I may not offer the program again until fall 2012. Register now.